The History of the Propeller Club
From humble beginnings, the Propeller Club has grown to include more than 80 Ports in maritime locations around the world, including almost 30 in countries outside the U.S.
Conceived in 1922, the Propeller Club started as a small group of maritime professionals meeting informally each day over lunch to discuss industry issues. As the group became too large for casual conversation, speakers were invited to address the group. The club continued to grow, and in January of 1923 the “Propeller Club of the Port of New York” was formed, with 33 members in attendance choosing the name and scheduling regular meetings.
Propeller Clubs Unite
News of the club spread to other port cities, and Propeller Clubs were formed in Boston, New Orleans, and at Yale University. On Nov. 7, 1927, The Propeller Club of the United States as a national and international organization was formed, with individual member clubs designated as “Ports.” The first overseas
Propeller Club Port was formed in Hamburg, Germany, in 1932, by Americans engaged there in the maritime business.
Membership comprises a cross section of the maritime industry throughout the United States and in many cities overseas. The Propeller Club is particularly well equipped to promote, further and support the merchant marine. “Propeller” in the name refers to the propulsion of ships and is symbolic of the driving force required to communicate the need for an adequate, privately-owned merchant marine for both overseas and domestic commerce.
Today, the International Propeller Club of the United States is an international business network dedicated to the promotion of the maritime industry, commerce and global trade.